Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Adventure Continues

A short post since I’m trying to upload some important things in a country where uploading should not take place…Count your lucky stars for high speed internet in the States—even for dial up for that matter!

The power cord/transformer for my Mac rather exploded the other day when I plugged it in at an office run by a generator. It was not a happy moment, and we scrambled a bit to see where we could find a new one. But then we figured, we’re in the land of cheap labor so why not try to get it fixed here. And this is where the adventure continues…

So while I was working this morning for Hope for Ugandan Students, Morgan was running around Mbale with a computer repairperson, fixing something that shouldn’t have been fixed, and it involved screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, running around on foot and motorcycle, pulling parts from various types of machines, and outstandingly, it worked. There’s more to this story but he’ll tell the whole thing at the slide show in the Spring. For the moment, here are a few pix.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, man. I had this EXACT same issue in Bahia. Spending a year there, I ran into all sorts of "apple sucks because of their proprietary bullshit" sort of feeling because when you're out there in the non-apple-landia, things that seem like minor hardware set-backs in the states, are huge deal-breakers elsewhere. I can't tell you how many hours I spent on do-it-yourself rigging blogs. There's some interesting ones out there. The Power adapter is without fail the highest on my list of time-wasters in my life. I tried to do my own rigging of that bad boy. It didn't turn out so successful. I did get a defective mosquito-sized thermometer out of my powerbook with a precision soldering gun and tweezers once. I was super proud of myself. It was a three day afair.

    ReplyDelete