Wednesday, March 18, 2009

12 Floors Up

Looking out onto Downtown Nairobi from the 12th floor of a many star hotel is certainly a different view of Africa than what I’ve seen over the last five to six weeks. And I’m aware that the view that I have had is different from the perspective of someone being in one place for all that time, or from the perspective of an African living his or her life over that same amount of time. In fact, perhaps being 12 floors up is a good analogy for the trip, since I’d venture to guess that most people on this continent, and likely most people of the world, never make it to the 12th floor of anyplace, and certainly not of a luxury hotel.

I’m here because my plans did end up changing. When I got to Malawi, which was going to be little more than a transit stop for me between Mozambique and Ethiopia, I found a really good price on a ticket from Lilongwe to Addis Ababa, but it required a lay-over in Nairobi on Kenya Air’s tab. And then when I tried to change my KLM ticket to come home earlier, they suggested that it would be better to fly from Nairobi directly to Amsterdam, and to skip Addis altogether. So my stay in Nairobi—and at the Nairobi Safari Club (“the only all-suite hotel in Kenya)—has been extended until tonight.

I’m normally one to hate big hotels, though this one has a unique design, a great balcony, and the first non-foam mattress that I’ve slept on in well over a month. So I’m enjoying it, and will enjoy exploring the city from here on my last day on the continent (for this trip, at least). What I don’t quite know what to do with are the people who I sit near in the downstairs Safari Restaurant (my meals are comped) who are paying $50 for a meal, taking loud cell phone calls, and look as if they could be anywhere in the world, but certainly not in the Africa that I’ve traveled…at least up until now.

Nairobi is a big modern city, and likely has a lot less character than it’s bigger brother to the North, Addis Ababa. I’m sorry that I will be missing Ethiopia altogether on this trip, especially because it was the country that inspired this trip in the first place. But I’m sure that I’ll travel there, and at least inch closer to Djibouti in the future. What is certain is that this was not my last visit to this continent. East Africa (and I guess the portion of Central and Southern Africa that I visited) have been phenomenal places to visit and learn about. I would return to most of these places, and hopefully in the not too distant future. I can only hope that the people who I meet and the stories that I hear the next time around will be half as good as this time, and if they are, the trip will be a wonderful one.

5 comments:

  1. my plans changed for a number of reasons, but I think that the number one reason was that I was just feeling 'done'. I think that the whole truck accident thing made me think about how fortunate I had been on the trip, and made me consider that my fortunes might change. Still the trip feels very complete, although I'm sure a few weeks in Ethiopia would have been wonderful, and I'm sure that it will be wonderful...on another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? - it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies. Cheap Flights to Djibouti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for choosing R M Michaels Daily Financing Company as your preferred lender, we're poised to serving you better.Our offer is easy to go by and its flexibility is beyond measure.

    Our services include the following:
    * Personal Loan
    * Debt consolidation Loans
    * Ability
    * Business Loans
    * Educational Loans
    * Mortgage Loans
    *project Loans
    *Marriage Loans.

    Fill in the below details to enhance the process of you required amount without delay.

    Borrowers Data.
    1)Full Names:
    2)Country:
    3)address:
    4)State:
    5)Sex:
    6)Marital Status:
    7)Occupation:
    8)Phone Number:
    10)Monthly income:
    11)Next of Kin:
    12)Loan Amount Needed:
    13)Loan Duration:
    14)Purpose of Loan:

    Immediately the above details is filled and acknowledged in our office, we will forward to you our loan terms and conditions to reach an agreement before making the transfer to your preferred account to received your funs.

    Revert back to me to indicate your interest if you wish to proceed with us.


    Regards,
    Mrs. R.M Micheal's
    General Consultant
    Chief Executive Officer(C.E.O)
    R M Micheal's Daily Financing Company.
    dailyfinancing1080micheals.rm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete